Saturday, August 18, 2012

Naples - Guglia - Piazza Gesu Nuovo

This obelisk is not a true obelisk, nor is it a plague column, it is a confectionous riot of carving that leaves most of Naples monuments dead in the water.

Designed and built in the 1750s it is possibly the finest example of Neapolitan baroque at its zenith.  Though not a plague column it certainly looks as if it has come down with a plague of cherubs. The little beasts crawl and writhe all over the thing, clambering over festoons and garlands and all manner of stone devices.

At first I thought it was hideous, however after being by it a few times it began to grow on me. In the end I decided that I wanted one for my garden.  Not sure how I will fit it in my luggage, or what the customs officers might say.

"Anything to declare?" - "Just this great wazzock of a statue thingy..." "Move along sir..."
Guglia from Via Benedetto Croce
The piazza is also delightful with sunny and shady spots a newsstand and the prerequisite cafes with indoor and outdoor seating.

Besides the Guglia the square is also home to the Chiesa dell Gesu Nuovo, the Chiesa and Monastario di Santa Chiara (with it's fantastic Majolica tile cloisters, and bell tower made up of bits of old roman temples), the Comune di Napoli, and apparently Warner Brothers Italia.

No comments:

Post a Comment