Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Naples - Palazzo Reale

Palazzo Reale
Funny Murat...
Palazzo Reale: This I have been told is worth a visit though supposedly it was closed during the time we were there. I believe it contains some hideously baroque rooms that I remember form my Antique Review magazines that I got from the dustbin of that house on the way back from the Cove bay Clinic thirty years ago. The front of the palace on the Piazza Plebiscito has niches filled with carved images of all of the rulers of Naples. The Murat is rather amusing, I have posted a picture and that is all I am saying about the matter (though I confess I laughed very-very loudly). The whole palace, like Caserta, is a grandiose monument to monarchy. Originally built in 1600 in anticipation of a visit by some king or another, it has passed through the hands of all of the Kings of Naples and the Two Sicily’s  until Vitorio Emanuele II took over as head cheese of all Italy.

All in all it underwhelms. Oh I mean yes, it’s big, it’s positively huge, but an aircraft hanger is big, doesn’t make it exciting.

Palazzo Reale and raised basement facing the bay of Naples

No comments:

Post a Comment