Friday, April 13, 2012

Rome - December 29, 2011 - Baths of Trajan

Arch from Baths of
Trajan
From the Church of Santi Silvestro (AKA San Martini ai Monti) we walked a little south. Even knowing we had our train tickets in hand, I was still freaked out because I don’t like to be late for anything, and missing a train just seems like a mini-disaster to me.

Then we found a park where a few people were walking dogs and then I saw it. Rising up out of the shrubbery like a mottled aged phoenix, that baths of Trajan...I really never thought I would see this magnificent ruin, but thanks to Mike’s wanderlust and ability to spot something shiny at 10,000 paces I did.

The detail in the brickwork brought to mind the Pantheon and Santa Maria degli Angeli e di Martini, which sort of gives an impression of what each of these excedras would have been like back in their prime. 
Excedra with niches and coffered ceiling, baths of Trajan

No comments:

Post a Comment