Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Rome - December 28, 2011 - Portico of Octavia

Portico of Octavia
Looking back
The Portico of Octavia was just marvelous. It was yet another of those things that I thought I would not see on this trip. This made me very-very happy.

Tucked away just north east of the theatre of Marcellus, and accessed through the same gate off the Via Teatro Marcello. I only walked over there because I saw something shiny. Glad that I did, because I also got a great view of the Synagogue on the river as well.

The Portico of Octavia is mentioned in Pliny’s Natural History. More than just a "portico" in the modern sense; this was actually an arcaded walk built by Augustus in honor of his sister Octavia (yup the poor woman that married Mark Anthony...and we all know how that played out...the Battle of Actium, and the suicide of the last Pharaoh of Egypt (Cleopatra VII) and..well Mark Anthony...). Sort of like a public park or meeting place but not as formal as the basilicas in the forum, the ruins indicate that it was a rather pleasing piece of architecture.

Inside the Portico of Octavia
It has been molested over time but the recent excavations have shown, to the vast quantity of fish bones found, that in the middles ages it was used as a fish market. The walks built over the excavations reminded me of the little neighborhoods in Venice that are always so appealing and picturesque.

The church that one enters right off the portico is actually dedicated to fishmongers.

Just west of here, viewable from the approach to the Theatre of Marcellus and right in the heart of Roman Jewish Ghetto the monumental synagogue on the river. I believe it is nineteenth century? However, I could be wrong.

Synagogue, theatre of Marcellus on the left

No comments:

Post a Comment